Dr. Sven Herpig is project director for international cyber security policy.
Sven’s current focal areas include the attack surface of machine learning with regards to national security, geopolitical responses to cyber operations, government hacking and vulnerability management.
Sven served as subject matter expert in the German parliament’s committee hearings on IT security, military cyber and information space and digital sovereignty and for the European Union study on Legal Frameworks for Hacking by Law Enforcement. He held the keynote at the G7 Digital Ministerial Meeting 2022 and presented his work inter alia at the US Congressional Cybersecurity Caucus, the European Parliament, the German parliament and the United Nations Interregional Crime and Justice Research Institute. Sven recently started the SNV Transatlantic Cyber Forum’s working group on the Government’s Role in increasing IT-Security of Open-Source Software. Sven regularly appears in German and international media.
Before Sven joined the Stiftung Neue Verantwortung, he was working with Germany’s federal government for several years. First, we worked with the IT security staff at the Federal Foreign Office. He then became deputy of the cyber security and society unit at the Federal Office for Information Security. His PhD analyzed the strategic implications of cyber security and cyber operations for the state.
Sven is active in the following advisory boards, blogs and working groups:
- Advisory Council for the EU Cyber Diplomacy Initiative – EU Cyber Direct
- Ad hoc working group on artificial intelligence and cybersecurity of the European Cybersecurity Agency
- Contributing editor for the Directions blog
- Federal working group on cybersecurity of the economic council of the CDU
- Advisory Council for the Federal Office for Information Security annual IT security congress
- Advisory Council “Deutschland sicher im Netz” (DsiN)